WHY YOU SHOULD JOIN A SPEECH CONTEST?


Why You Should Join A Speech Contest



Have you ever thought of joining a speech contest? Are you planning to join the contest this year? Maybe it is one of your new year’s resolutions? Perhaps you have been thinking about it for some time now yet you are still not sure if you should.


You are probably saying to yourself,” it looks exciting but I don’t think I’m ready. Besides, what if I lose? The other contestants must be experienced speakers. How am I going to compete with them? I will only end up embarrassing myself”.

Yes, I know exactly how you feel and I know what you are thinking. I’ve been there. I won some, I lost some and I had my own embarrassing moments too. Well, you are right about one thing; competing for a speech contest can be rather mind-blowing.

Before you say anything, please let me explain. I am not here to promote speech contests for any organisation or organisers. I just want to share with you what I went through, the best thing I’ve learnt from joining a speech contest and the reality I had to face. At least if one day you decide to join a speech contest, you know what you are getting yourself into.
  
You can join a speech contest anywhere, whether in school, universities and colleges or in public speaking clubs like Toastmasters. Generally, most speech contests are more or less the same. Except for certain rules and protocol of course. Other than that, a speech contest is like any other speech contest.

So why should you join a speech contest?

1) It Is a Whole New Experience

If you think giving a speech is scary enough, wait until you give a speech for a speech contest. There will be judges, competitors, time allocated, many rules and disqualification. Not to mention all eyes looking at you; evaluating your performance and waiting for you to make mistakes. At that moment, you would rather watch a horror movie instead. So, why should you join a speech contest when it seems terrifying?

You should join a speech contest because it is a whole new experience that I can’t even describe it in words. You will know how it feels when you do it. Yes, it will be scary at the beginning. But once you are on stage, you can feel your heart beating faster than you can ever imagine. You will feel the thrill. It is like going for a roller coaster ride with less risk of physical injuries. And when you finish giving your speech, you feel as light as a feather. It gives you that feeling of satisfaction and desirable freedom combined.

It challenges you to face your fear. Or for some of us, to face our greatest fear which is public speaking. Joining a speech contest makes you more confident on stage than ever before. You have to try it to believe it.

2) Joining a Speech Contest Improves Your Public Speaking Skills

When you compete in a speech contest, you need to find the ‘winning formula’. You will try to get the ‘perfect speech’ for the contest. You will practice your delivery techniques many times and write a great speech in order to win. I’m sure you will definitely sharpen your skills in the process. I know this because the same thing happened to me.

When I first joined a speech contest (District 87 Toastmasters), it never occurred to me that it will make any difference. I mean it was only a speech contest, right? But it did. After many times competing in speech contest, I realised my public speaking skills has improved tremendously. 

The thing is when you are competing; you will try your best to be better than the other contestants. Indirectly, you will do all you can to improve your public speaking skills and enhance your stage performance. You will add in new effective ways to refine your speech presentations. You will come up with creative yet captivating stories to make a powerful impact. You will improve on your storytelling techniques and polish up your comedy act.

Besides that, you will develop a sharp mind and become more observant. You will be more alert on speaking on time, understanding and abide by the judges’ requirements and rules and be flexible in handling any changes or unexpected situation during the contest. In other words, it makes you a better speaker each time you compete!

3) Competing in a Speech Contest Increase Perseverance and Self-Discipline.

I still remember what I had to do every time before I compete in a speech contest. I would write my speech over and over again, sent my drafts to my mentor asking for his opinions until I got the perfect speech. I was lucky to have a great mentor who was supportive and patient with me. If you are reading this Distinguished Toastmaster Yee That Hian, I wish to say thank you!

After I was truly satisfied with my written speech, it was time for practice. I had to practice every day, night and day. I usually practised my speech in the middle of the night when everybody else is sleeping. I even practised my speech when I was driving my car that some people who saw me thought I was talking to myself!

I looked at the mirror to see my facial expression, recorded my voice to hear my voice projection and took videos to see my gestures and body language. It was all about practice, practice and more practice. I can tell you this. It was hard work from the beginning until the end.

So, what good did this bring me aside from long sleepless nights, stress and headaches? The truth, it made me work so hard that I never knew I could. It made me a strong, patient person who never gives up on her dreams. The experience made me a well-disciplined person who I was never before. I never knew it was possible.


4) You Will Meet Experienced and Professional Speakers during the Contest.

Here is another reason why you should join a speech contest. If you decide to compete in a speech contest, many people will be there to watch you in action; professional speakers, former contest champions and experienced audiences.

Speech contests are the best place and time to meet these outstanding individuals. You will meet them in person and if you are lucky, you might see them delivering a speech as well. Watch them deliver their speech and learn how they do it. Don’t be shy. Get to know them and build up some networking. Take the opportunity to gain and share knowledge.

I’ve met some great people during my speech contests too. They are very generous, helpful and encouraging people. Some of them became my friends and I still ask for their advice until today.

5) Competing in a Speech Contest Teaches You Failures and How to Deal with It

Remember when I mentioned earlier about the reality I had to face during a speech contest? Well, here it is. When there is a competition, there will be winning and losing, right? After competing in speech contests, the experience taught me how to accept defeat and to deal with my feelings.

Winning speech contests was a wonderful experience for me. Again, I don’t know how to explain to you how it felt in words. What I can tell you is this. I felt terrific! Fantastic! Motivated! I felt as if I can move the mountains. I was at the top of the world. It was indeed a supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

On the other hand, losing in a speech contest gave me a dreadful feeling. It made me wonder whether I was good enough. I thought I was the worse speaker in the universe for not winning. I felt like a failure and I have failed my club for not bringing back a trophy. I felt as if the whole world was against me. Yes, I may sound a bit dramatic but I am telling you the truth. That was exactly how I felt.

But then one day, I realised something. Winning is not everything. Losing a speech contest doesn’t make you a failure. It is just a matter of opinion. It is what you think of yourself. Every speaker has their own strengths and weaknesses. Sometimes you are just not lucky. Maybe you need to identify your strengths and keep on trying.

Another thing I learnt is to be happy for others who won. It is always great to see other people succeed. It should motivate and inspire you to do better. The reason for you to join a speech contest must not be about winning a trophy or getting recognition but it is about building up your self-confidence, self-esteem and your abilities. The experience should make you stronger and wiser.

Before you join a speech contest, please remember …

The purpose of public speaking is not to see which speaker is the best. It is never about the speaker. Public speaking is about the audience and the message. As a public speaker, (competing or not) your duty is to get the message across to your audience; the knowledge, the information and the inspiration.

Competing in a speech contest is a great experience. Go for it! Cherish the moments and learn from mistakes. See it in a difference perspective and concentrate on the big picture. Identify your strengths and potentials. But the most important thing to remember is to have FUN!


All the best ;) And Happy New Year ;)



Written by: Intan Salwana Anis
@2018 Public Speaking Is Cool. All Rights Reserved.

Popular posts from this blog

THE POWER OF EMOTIONS IN A SPEECH

THE POWER OF SPEECH

WHAT MAKES GOOD SPEECH CONTENT?